Keep Your Cell Phone Number
Already have a cell phone number and don’t want to lose it? If you are a current Canadian wireless phone subscriber, you can keep your phone number when you change your service provider (in most areas).
It’s also possible to transfer a phone number from either a prepaid or postpaid wireless service. But before considering a switch, just make sure your phone number is still active with your existing service provider. You won’t be able to carry unused phone time to Petro-Canada Mobility™ though and you will need to buy a Petro-Canada Mobility phone.
In some cases (some rural areas excluded), you can also keep the same phone number when transferring your landline phone service to a wireless service.
Number Portability: How to Port Over Your Number
- Check the eligibility of your current phone number to make sure it can be transferred onto your new Petro-Canada mobility phone. Simply call one of our representatives at the Petro-Canada Activation Line: 1 (800) 596-9935.
- Choose a Petro-Canada Mobility phone that’s right for you.
- Get ready to transfer your number by gathering the required information:
If the number you wish to port is a cellular number, you will need:
The most recent monthly bill from your service provider, or your current phone
One of the following items:
- The account number with your current service provider
- Your handset serial number (found underneath the battery, on the back of the phone). This will give you either the ESN (11 digits) or IEMI (15 digits).
- The account password or PIN you have with your current service provider
If the number you wish to port is a home phone number, you will need:
Your current account holder’s name (only as it appears on the account)
Your account service address
Your account number
- The phone number must be active, so do not cancel your current service. We will let your service provider know that you want to move your number from their service to Petro-Canada Mobility. (You are still responsible for any cancellation fees and residual charges that you may owe under your previous service provider’s agreement. Also any credit balances with your current provider will be lost.)
- Call the Petro-Canada Activation Line at 1 (800) 596-9935 to begin the process. All ports are initiated the following business day. This allows you to be sure that you are ready to port over your number. Once initiated, the process takes about two hours, during normal business hours. With certain rural numbers and during busier times it may take up to 72 hours to complete. During this time, you can still use your old number and mobile phone. Be sure to check your voice mail and other services one last time before the number has been transferred.
- Your Petro-Canada Mobility phone will now work with your number once the transfer is complete. You will receive a text message with your temporary voice mail number.